Submissions are open for BBP for poetry (written) and will close on January 31st 2022. Vispo / visual poetry submissions are now closed. Subs for Beir Bua Kids are also closed. see here for sub guidelines. Please allow up to three months for a reply after the sub-window has closed.
Subscribe and join the BBP email gang and follow us on social.
Please follow on social for updates. Also, please submit to the journal as this can be a good way to get noticed by the press.
Note, this is an Irish press and mainly publish Irish, UK, (some Europe and America) based poets as this is our audience base. But good writing is welcome no matter where you are based
Page range from 30 to 55 max pages. Including but not limited to:
Word poetry Experimental / post-avant Poetry / constraint-based poetics Domestic poetry with a fabulist flare, women issues poetics / essays…
New Wave Fabulism, Latin American Magical Realism, surrealism, absurdism. Black and white visual poetry, colour vispo, Concrete poetry.
Single Short Stories / Linked Short Stories
Fictions / Non-Fiction / Essays / Experiments / Autofiction / creative nonfiction / cool conference papers, stage plays, screen plays, literary theory, art history essays…
Please do consider buying a beautiful Beir Bua Press book made by this Irish press before you submit so you get a feel for the press and support it, if you are in a position to do so. And share your pictures and reviews on Goodreads, Amazon and social media, love it!
Please only include up to 35% of poems that have been published in journals and include the journal name in the email.
Translations welcome try to place the English and the translation on the opposite page.
Please use the Beir Bua Press email when contacting the press or its editor, Michelle Moloney King. DM’s are not monitored as we spend most of my time searching for gifs on twitter!
Formatting rules guidelines.
Ideally, it's great to have a publishing history of work published in reputable journals both online and in print. Your work needs to be polished (I find that wax helps buff it out and a good finish with a soft cloth...wonderful) But yes, proofreading is important and shows how seriously you take your work.
1. Page range from 30 to 55 (max) pages! (Unless your work is an essay collection and you have been invited to sub and you have a great publication history) With NO page numbers, no footers, no headers, please and thank you. Spelling is to be in UK /Irish Spelling. I’d really like it if you could change American spelling to UK spelling, please.
2. Formatted to A5 in .doc (I use Google Drive word – open doc, file, page set-up, select A5 – see image) For Microsoft Word – I’m sure its in the page layout also. Please no Mac Apple documents – just word or google doc as what is what we use at BBP
3. Font Palatino Linotype (or Times New Roman) and size 10. No page numbers and nothing in the header.
4. Save your word document with your name and its title, send as word doc /google doc.
5. Your social media links and website (Ideally, it’s great if you have an active social media and website would be a bonus as I’d know you will share links to the book there and we are nerds about SEO here.)
6. At the start of the manuscript please include a short paragraph summarising your work, an introduction to your work. I’d love to know if your understanding of the theory (are you inspired by art history, linguistics, Hiberno-Irish, avant-garde, nihilism? I’m nosey and LOVE to learn. If you wish, include a dedication at the beginning of the manuscript and your biography at the end of your manuscript. If you have a blurb or tow that’d be great, but it is perfectly fine if you don’t.
9. Email the press, SubsBeirBuaPress @ gmail (dot) com with your manuscript as word attachment or Google doc only, NO pdfs, and an author picture attached to the email.
10. You must be willing to attend the live launch and partake in other talks and workshops. We cannot invest in writers who are not willing to market their own book. You may do this for fun but this is a business and we raise money for charity.
We aim to get back to submissions within two months after closing.
And thank you, for supporting the press and sharing your work with BBP.
Beir Bua / Bring Victory - Bring Talent
Please do follow BBP on our socials below, we're fun!
Royalties and Contracts
It’s important to me, as a poet, that Beir Bua Press pays poets – even from the start of this new press.
Authors will receive a copy of their book upon publication and 30% in royalties; this is 3 times the recommended royalty rate from the Society of Authors. This will be paid out after a certain number of sales.
There will be contracts – to protect both parties rights and that royalties are paid correctly.
Copyright always remains with you, the poet; there will be no first refusals, no exclusivity deals, and nothing that will tie you in.
To help with the publicity of the poets and funding the press 3 of your poems will be n in that year’s anthology (if we publish one)
Please do consider buying a beautiful book made by this Irish press before you submit so you get a feel for the press and support it if you are in a position to do so. And share your pictures and reviews on Goodreads, Amazon and social media, love it!
Subscribe and join the BBP email gang